Here’s a nice little article/interview sent to me from #1 research assistant Sarah about supermarkets.
I like this quote:
It’s clearly good to have fewer pesticides in the soil and water–not to mention in your body and your children’s bodies–which is why it’s good to buy organic. But organic junk food is still junk food.
I think she makes a good point here. We definitely need to read labels, even on organic foods, but I will say that I’m glad there are (organic) alternatives out there for snacks that are better than the name brand versions.
My main thing with these snack-type foods right now is high fructose corn syrup (HFCS)*, which I’m trying to avoid. Here are a few yummy snacks that I buy for Gigi (and mommy & daddy too).
- 365 Organic Quack’n Bites (a Gigi-friendly alternative to Gold Fish)
- Cascadian Farm Organic Chocolate Chip Granola Bars (David’s new Favorite!)
- TJ’s “This Blueberry Walks Into a Bar…” Cereal Bars
- O Organics for Toddlers (Safeway) Organic Cereal Bars
- Hansen’s Creamy Root Beer (not for Gigi, don’t worry!!)
- TJ’s Joe’s Os or Cascadian Farms Os